Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service involves saving and/or sharing particular web content on a web server administered by a hosting provider. There are different forms of hosting services used for different ends, so let's have a glimpse at these. In this way, you can determine what you need, depending on whether you'd like to build a site, mail addresses, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a service offered by particular firms, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage accounts often involve advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to await a given interval of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly erroneous explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would assign the load between autonomous packs of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a variety of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; some distributors provide a hosting service for images solely. This hosting type is appropriate if you want to share a big number of images with chums or colleagues since the service is typically free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to handling your emails. Some companies provide web site hosting services for web pages, but do not supply an email service. If you would like to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can create e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and several hundred website visitors, you may have a hard time with your webspace hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will permit you to keep as many video clips as you wish without hassling about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you desire to keep a website. To some degree, it consists of all of the aforementioned hosting forms since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and electronic mail accounts, upload video files, etc. At Max Host Plus, for instance, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated server hosting services that allow you to get all of the aforementioned services in one location. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting account may be better or worse compared with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for particular content exclusively.